SX21

Topic

Propecia and erection problems

Cali77

I am a 29 year old male who has been having erection problems for the last 3 months. I have been taking Propecia for 4 months now, and I’m pretty sure they are related. Before taking Propecia I never had any erection problems. Has anyone else experienced this? Will this go away or do I need to stop taking Proecia? If anyone else has experienced this, did your erection problems go away immediately after stopping Propeica? I have a family history of hair loss and I was hoping Propecia would help, but I don’t want to continue on it if it’s going to give me erection problems. I would really appreciate any help as I don’t know what to do.

3 Comments

Horndog

Taper off Propecia immediately!! Slowly lower your dose so as not to cause your system to crash. Yes, there are definite side effects, Propecia (or Finasteride) inhibits your body’s ability to convert Testosterone to DHT which is an important androgen for prostate health and sexual function.
I am under the care of Dr. Irwin Goldstein in San Diego, CA (google him) who is treating a lot of patients suffering from finasteride-related E.D. My hormones were royally screwed up by finasteride. DHT, Testosterone = depleted. Testosterone continued to dive even after quitting the pill.
Additionally, I did very thorough physical testing which revealed an arterial blockage. I strongly believe that Finasteride either caused or exacerbated this blockage. It is simply not healthy to rob your sexual organs of blood flow and androgens, which is what happens when you take this drug. Dr. Goldstein is finding that a lot of his Finasteride cases have blockages. Usually, when you have a blockage, it’s due to a childhood trauma to the perineum. I can remember no such distinct accident (typically bike riding-related).

Visit this website: propeciahelp.com and click on “discussion forum.” View the FAQ section where it outlines what this drug does to your system.
Over 1500 members are registered on this site which caters to E.D. due to Propecia. Members discuss hormonal therapy, diet, theories, etc.
I’m personally heading into surgery on top of the hormonal treatment I’ve received and appear to be responding well to (although E.D. persists). One thing this board does not strongly discuss, is the connection between Propecia and blockage cases. I strongly suggest you try to get a complete diagnosis fom a urologist who specializes in E.D., who treats young men, and who is familiar with Finasteride’s horrible side effects (which go beyond just libido or erectile function).

I wish you luck. Don’t despair. But please do slowly reduce your dosage until you’re off. Even better, take a baseline hormonal snapshot of where you’re at right now, and then compare it to after you quit. Test for: Testosterone, DHT, LH, FSH, SHBG, Estradiol at the very minimum.

AeroEngr

I’ve made a series of related posts under “Testosterone/Hormone Treatment for Men” >> “Propecia Ruined My Life” which you should consider reviewing. For the most part, my comments echo what ‘Horndog’ has said regarding how you should handle this, though I do think we should lobby the admin to set up an independent forum called “Propecia Side Effects” to handle these discussions together in one location.

A lot of otherwise perfectly healthy young men are getting seriously hurt by this over prescribed and poorly understood drug. It was originally developed to treat older men with prostate cancer but it is now also marketed to treat men for male pattern baldness, a mere cosmetic issue, without appraising these (often young) men of the true risks they take by consuming this product.

Doctors everywhere need to start hearing complaints like ours so that they’ll stop prescribing this drug like water to any man who has thinning hair, and assuring them that there are no long term risks associated with the use of the drug. I can’t think of a more evil product than one which makes a healthy person sick, does so as a result of only short term usage, permanently leaves them with horrible side effects even after quitting, and then offers them no known solution in terms of a cure or treatment plan for those side effects.

stevesmith

Hi,

Propecia is the branded medication for male baldness or hair loss.It is use to treat hair loss. 96% of men taking propecia and had no side effects.As every medication has side effect propecia also have some side effect like swelled hands and feet, testicular pain, impotence, loss of interest in sex, abnormal ejaculation .If you have to avoid this side effects you should take a prior prescription of doctors.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.