SX21

Topic

Penis suddenly curved to the left

RonJ

I am writing this to share my experiences with Peyronie’s Disease (PD) in the hope that I may be able to help others who have this condition.

I am a very healthy and fit 36 year old male who was shocked and disturbed when I noticed on May 20, 2011 that my penis was suddenly curved to the left at about a 35 degree angle. It also appeared to be slightly shorter when erect. I had no pain and continue to have no pain. I still get good erections.

My penis was always very straight and slightly above average length. I noticed this condition after about a week of non-sexual activity. To me the conditioned seemed to appear almost literally “overnight”.

An internet search quickly turned up PD as the condition of a bent penis. The condition can be present since birth, or appear gradually or quickly (as in my case) later in life. The cause of PD when it occurs later in life, often can’t be pinpointed. In some cases it is thought to occur from an injury. I racked my brain for almost two weeks trying to find a “cause” for this sudden onset of PD. I finally came up with one that I am 99% certain was the real one. I had gotten a massage from my girlfriend a week or two earlier. At the start of it (while lying on my stomach) I had foolishly stretched and tucked my penis downward between my legs so it would be slightly exposed to her if the massage turned more sexual. She did not know I had done this. I did get an erection during the massage. I later learned that this could have constricted the blood through the penis, thereby increasing the pressure and thus creating an injury or tear in it.

The photos and information I found on the internet in my research were, to say the least, very disturbing to me. PD for the most part, is not well understood by most doctors, as far as the cause and treatment options. The success rate for treatment of PD is only about 55% at best. From my research, I worried whether the curvature would get even worse and whether it would lead to erectile dysfunction, as reported in some cases. I suddenly saw my entire sexual health and happiness now in question. Note that a later trip to my general M.D. was rather disturbing when she admitted she had never even heard of PD and that having a bent penis was “normal” for some people. I assured her it may be “normal” for those who were born with some curvature, but that certainly wasn’t my case and I was coming to her because there had been a sudden and dramatic change to my body! Sadness and slight depression ensued for me.

I went to my urologist and she referred me to Irwin Goldstein, M.D., Director of San Diego Sexual Medicine in San Diego, CA. I found Dr. Goldstein’s website very informative. From my research on PD and Dr. Goldstein, I was quickly learning Goldstein was no doubt one of the very top doctors not only in the country, but in the world as far as his understanding of and treatment of the disease. Note that a post on this very website by username “bowandarrow” was also instrumental in re-assuring me about this. This post was very detailed and it put me more at ease that Dr. Goldstein might be able to help me. (I am very thankful to “bowandarrow” for taking the time to write his post! Hopefully I can return the favor now to someone else.)

Suddenly I felt at least something to be thankful about, as I was living in the same city as the one guy in the country (and maybe the world) who might best be able to help me. A later discussion with my therapist who happened to mention she was in the process of getting her license to practice sex therapy and had met Dr. Goldstein and attended some of his lectures, confirmed this also. She also said he was a very easy-going person with a good sense of humor who made people feel very comfortable – not the “typical” doctor’s personality you find anymore.

I took advantage of Dr. Goldstein’s free 10 minute phone call he provides to discuss my condition and initial questions. This is also something I’ve never experienced with other doctors, so I was grateful to have gotten it and it was very beneficial. At that point I knew Dr. Goldstein would be the doctor I would go to for evaluation and possibly treatment.

Leading up to my initial visit, Dr. Goldstein’s staff were very professional and courteous in answering all of my questions about what to expect during my initial evaluation including diagnostic testing, consultation with Dr. Goldstein and a sex therapist, Dr. Hartzell, and approximate costs for all of this.

The initial evaluation was also unlike anything I’ve ever previously experienced. I went with my girlfriend of three years. (They encourage you to bring your partner as PD can affect them as well, in regards to your sexual relationship and your relationship in general due to the stress of what you are going through).

Dr. Goldstein was just as my therapist had described. He immediately put me at ease with his easy-going and kind personality. His sense of humor and occasional light- hearted remarks helped to keep me relaxed and lightened me up some. He seemed very knowledgeable about PD but was just as quick to be honest when there was something he couldn’t answer because it was not known 100% yet in the research. This was very important to me. I needed to know the guy who might be injecting needles into my penis (yes, at first this was a very scary thought! But amazingly it isn’t so scary anymore as I’ll explain later) would not only be willing to answering all of my questions and concerns ahead of time but also be a straight-shooter!

The visit was extremely comprehensive, lasting about 3 hours. First Dr. Goldstein explained how the visit would go and gave us a brief lesson on PD involving text books and a slide show. He assured me all of my questions would be answered which instantly lifted a ton of the stress and anxiety I was feeling. He discussed in detail the current most successful treatment for PD, interferon injections into the penis. The injections are given two days in a row. That is one series. Additional series are given, as needed, every 6 weeks after that. Possible side affects from the injections (flu-like symptoms) were discussed. Starting the day the injections are given and continuing for 2 weeks, penis stretching exercises (with your hands) are to be done as many times a day as possible(ideally at least 5 times per day). Dr. G. shows you the technique for this.

Next since I had opted for diagnostic testing to understand if things like blood flow were still okay in my penis, as well as understanding the extend of the plaques that the PD had caused and how much of it was “calcified”, I was brought into the scan room. For this an injection was given into the penis (erection medicine) (the shot didn’t hurt much at all, more like a pinch) and the doctor and assistant left the room so my girlfriend could stimulate me with her hand to get an erection. They then returned and the diagnostic scans were started over the erect penis. The results of the scan were explained to me is real time as they were performing them.

Next we meet with the sex therapist, Dr. Hartzell, which was very helpful. Dr. Hartzell was very personable, easy-going and also made us feel comfortable from the very beginning. My girlfriend and I discussed with her how we were both feeling about the PD and how it was impacting ourselves as well as our relationship (and sexual

relationship). I expressed how the PD was making me stressed, moody and sad lately. My girlfriend asked how she could best help me cope with it and how to best support me through the process. In my opinion, this holistic approach that Dr. Goldstein’s practice offers is very important for conditions such as PD which could have not only physical symptoms but emotional and psychological as well.

At that point we then met with both Dr. Hartzell and Dr. Goldstein to discuss any final questions we had and to agree on a go-forward plan. Even though Dr. Goldstein did not recommend interferon injection treatments unless we were unable to have sexual intercourse, I decided on going forward with it because I believed PD was having a large psychological impact on me. I didn’t want to risk having the PD eventually turning into a larger issue, such as erectile dysfunction. Dr. Goldstein supported my decision. Note my decision was also based on assurances by Dr. Goldstein that the risk of complications or making the PD worse was very low. At one point I asked him bluntly if he thought he could decrease the curvature of my penis with the treatments and he said confidently that he could.

On July 14 and July 15, I received my first series of injections. As instructed, I took 1000 mg of Advil 45 minutes before the appointment to minimize the flu-like symptoms that might occur later that day. I had also stopped by strenuous weight-lifting workouts two days prior so my body’s immune system would be strong and not run down. For me, the injections were uncomfortable and slightly painful but nothing that could not be tolerated. I think the fear of a needle being injected into my penis was more daunting than the actual discomfort from the needle.

I continued every four hours with the Advil. I was lucky to have none of the major chills, shaking and flu-like symptoms Dr. Goldstein warned about. I did feel slightly warm and tired that evening but the symptoms were minor in my case. I am guessing this could have been due to my younger age than some of his other clients and the fact that I am in good health and fitness and this allowed my body’s resistance to the flu-like symptoms to stay in tact. Note that I did feel somewhat “run down” after I came off the Advil 24 hours after my second injection day. I felt sort of like I might get sick so I avoided working out for two more days to keep my resistance high and I was able to avoid getting sick. I performed the penis stretching and bending exercises, as instructed, for the two weeks following the first series of injections.

I am scheduled for my second series of injections on Aug. 23 and 24. At that time Dr. Goldstein will measure my curvature (before giving me the second series of injections)and I will report back on my progress.

0 Comments

manik

(Awaiting moderation)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.