SX21

Topic

One other experience

Touchdown

In May 2008 I underwent a total abdominal hysterectomy (ovaries taken as I was recently menopaused, age 52) for a bothersome uterine prolapse. Once I was healed and resumed having sex, I was finding that I never could achieve vaginal orgasms as before the operation. These were sorely missed!

I had elected not to start hormones after surgery, but rather see how it went. Just under a year later I consulted Dr. Goldstein, who I found is a great ambassador promoting sexual health, educating the public and finding effective therapies.

About a month after starting the hormones, my libido increased and the lost “function” returned! It’s going on 2 years now and I’ve been using the Estrogel pump and a pea sized bit of testosterone gel daily along with a weekly progesterone pill. I gave up after a year on the vaginal estrogen preparations after finding every gel/oil caused irritation leading to yeast infections. (I never went for the applicator kind on principle of avoiding plastic waste.)

Initially I was on DHEA, but found it may have been causing an unpleasant cystic acne. I decreased my testosterone dose also from 1/10th of a tube (0.5 mls) to the little blob. I felt the bigger dose leading to more body hair and also the tendency to underarm odor. Hormone laboratory levels were obtained at first (no surprise it showed I was menopaused) though I have not done any more because I am very satisfied with the results/effects of my current treatment steadily over the last year.

My gynecologist did my pap smear a month ago saying the tissues all look good. I sent good friends, a couple, to Dr. Goldstein and they really thank me for it. For myself I did not want to lose the sexual enjoyment part of my life as I have a terrific partner the last 18 years who at 60 is still going strong. Thanks Dr. G.

0 Comments

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.