SX21

Topic

Menopause, low Interest, testosterone and other hormones

Fulfilling

This history is greater than a decade, but eventually after contacting S.D.S.M. offices at a friend’s recommendation, I was diagnosed with Hormone Related Female Desire Disorder. My first Gyn. visit with discussion of peri-menopausal complaints was in 1996. I was suspicious when the MD stated ” Don’t worry. Men don’t want sex as much as they age” re: my complaint of decreased libido. I was treated with unopposed estrogen for 1 yr.. In 1997, I visited a Nurse Practitioner who said she had success treating peri-menopausal symptoms with birth control pills & Prozac. The following yr., my PCP prescribed premarin, progesterone, & changed anti-depressant to Welbutrin (with less side-effect re: to libido) ,but declined to do lab testing as she thought results were so variable as to be inconclusive. My genitals had started withering by this time; my interest in sex & arousal severely declined, my self image affected & marital relations stressed. My PCP agreed to a lab value test, decreased Prempro dosage,& prescribed IntraVaginal Premarin. When she examined my atrophied genital tissue,(“I am so sorry for you”), I found the intravag cream unacceptable, ineffective, & non-absorbable. I continually repeated my complaints of worsening disinterest & declining libido with my yearly visits. Trial of topical compounded testosterone resulted in a few erotic dreams & facial hair, but no practical change or response. The next year I visited a Nursse Practitioner under an Ob/Gyn (she had knowledge of BioIdentical Hormone Replacement). We did expensive saliva lab testing & she stated previous MDs had ordered 10X testosterone dosage. Trial of her dose was not effective for any increase in libido. An Ob/Gyn in North County ordered BioIdentical Estradiol Patches, continued VagiFem & after 3rd visit ordered compounded testosterone. I also took OTC treatments, such as niacin & gingko biloba for circulation, 1 yr. of MD recommended Avlimil supplement with 0 effect. Needless to say after attempting to comply with prescribed treatments for menopausal S&S, particularly loss of libido & pain with intercourse for > than 10 yrs. was distressing. I felt sure my problems were related to hormones & body chemistry, as my heart & mind desired a fulfilling sex life. Dr G. @ phone interview agreed to investigate. Pre-office visit labs & in office diagnostics confirmed this. With the simple adjustments to BioIdentical Hormones, addition of topical Estrace cream daily & implanted, FDA approved Testosterone pellet implant every 6 mos., validation of the decade of ineffectual trearment for my concerns, education & supportive staff I have achieved rejuvenation of libido, physical genitalia, marital harmony, & self esteem.

1 Comment

adrianashton

Good to hear that you achieved rejuvenation of libido and the more important of all thing is your self-esteem. Hormones can really affect women, as they imbalance sometimes and the results is not good in women. And as I know contraceptive can worsen this. A hormone replacement like what said (Testosterone pellet implant every 6 mos.) is a great help. Always keep on mind that, need to ask advice from the expert about this problem.

Regards!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.