SX21

Topic

Interferon injections for Peyronie’s

sdpatient

I am currently a patient of Dr. Goldstein in San Diego. I am getting interferon injections for curvature of the penis. Other posts have detailed the process so I apologize in advance for any duplication. Dr. G offers a free 10 minute phone consultation. Though he probably has explained this disorder more than 1,000 times, he didn’t sound like he was just going through the motions. He explained the disorder and potential treatments. He asked about my emotional health and how this was affecting my wife. I appreciated all of this.

Now, if you decide to seek treatment you will have to deal with discussing your penis with the doctor, his female assistants, and a female counselor. It’s awkward at first, but they deal with it every day and eventually I became more relaxed about the situation.

First, I had to meet with an in-house counselor. This disorder can be devastating to the male ego and to relationships so they assess your emotional state of mind. It’s a great idea and it shows they’re main concern is your health not your money. Then I met with Dr. G and got another lesson in Peyronie’s and the interferon treatment.

Next, I was given an injection into the penis to get an erection. The doctor and his female assistant came in and measured the curvature and took pictures. Again, this can be uncomfortable and embarassing for some men (like me). I then got another injection to lose the erection. These first two injections are not very painful. I was very worked up in my mind about it and probably made it worse. It’s like any other shot…uncomfortable for a few seconds but not excruciating. Finally, I got the interferon injection. This shot takes 1-2 minutes to get the interferon injected. This shot can make you wince a bit. But, once it’s over there is no lingering pain. I then went back the next day for a second interferon shot.

I did have flu-like symptoms that first night (chills and muscle aches) for a couple of hours. They were gone by morning. With subsequent treatments, the symptoms have been hit-or-miss. Sometimes a little, sometimes nothing, but never as bad as the first night.

I’ve had four rounds of interferon injections so far. My curvature has gone from 50 degrees to 25 degrees. There is no more pain during an erection and sex is definitely better. I have accepted the fact that my penis will never be completely straight. I really just want it to function and to do so without discomfort. I am there now, but I am continuing my treatment to try and see how much improvement I can attain. One thing I must say is that Dr. G was happier than I was when he measured me and saw the improvement. He was truly excited and gave me a high-five. He genuinely wants to see his patients improve.

The process so far has been worth it. Most research says that the disorder will not go away on its own. The process can be painful, embarassing, and costly. But, I would say it has been worth it so far.

0 Comments

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.