SX21

Topic

How I got my groove back

JulieF

I’ve been dealing with a non existent sex drive for MANY MANY years and, after years of searching ,I finally found a doc who put me on testosterone gel. But I got nasty facial hair and acne too, and I decided to stop using it because of the side effects. I’ve never heard of the testosterone pellet. Can you tell me more about it. Do you insert it in your vagina? Can you get it over the counter, or does my Dr need to prescribe it? Do you not have the same side effects of the gel? Do i have to insert it every day. I’m in florida, so I’m hoping my local Dr can help me so I don’t have to fly all the way to California. Thanks for sharing you story!

2 Comments

swwts

For years, I suffered from a total lack of desire for sex and it put an enormous strain on my marriage. One morning about 10 years ago, I was listening to CNN when I heard a voice describing my exact situation and frustrations. It was a voice of hope and belonged to Dr. Irwin Goldstein, who I tracked down though CNN and met with, in Boston. He has been my doctor ever since and is the founder of San Diego Sexual Medicine.

For years before, I had attempted to have discussions with numerous doctors about my lack of desire, only to be told “it is all in my head”. I knew that wasn’t the case but could not confirm it, until I met Dr. Goldstein. At that time, he was founding the BU sexual medicine practice for women, who until then had been ignored by the medical community.

I filled out an extensive questionnaire about my sex and emotional life, prior to my first appointment. When I arrived, I met with a psychologist who probed my background in terms of possible abuses I may have suffered. (I fortunately have not suffered from abuse.) I then met Dr. Goldstein, who spoke with me, then examined me and spoke with me again.

I learned about my hormone deficiencies, the harm bicycle riding and years of birth control pills had done to me, physically, and began the path to recovery. The road to recovery was not a smooth one- I had bad reactions to the testosterone gels and I developed adult acne. I now use testosterone pellets that are inserted into my skin. Once my hormone balance became normalized and my skin problem resolved, with the help of Dr. Goldstein, my sex life became active again and continues to be healthy today.

About 5 or so years ago, Dr. Goldstein left Boston (where the office was cramped and dingy) and founded SDSM, which is located in a new space, with many rooms for patients and procedures and staffed with very warm and approachable people. One of the unique aspects of Dr. Goldstein is the amount of time he spends with me, during each and every visit. It is as though I am his only patient – which could not be further from the truth!

I am sharing my story for all of the women out there who worry that they will never want to have sex again. There is a solution to this issue. You just need to find the right doctor, who specializes in female sexual medicine. If you cannot find one where you live, I encourage you to explore Dr. Goldstein and San Diego Sexual Medicine.

Beatlegirl

Julie, the tesosterone pellet is implanted into the fatty area of your hip. It lasts anywhere between 2-6 mos. I’ve had 3 pellets inserted over the past year, and it’s great; however, it’s expensive and you have to come to CA to get it as most mainstream doctors won’t even consider doing it for you. If coming to CA isn’t a hassle, make an appointment with Dr. Goldstein. He is an INCREDIBLE man, and his staff is warm and wonderful. Also, since I get 2 pellets, it’s very expensive, so Dr. Goldstein suggested weekly, self-adminstered injections- affordable, easy, and it lasts about 10 months. At least make a courtesy call appointment with Dr. Goldstein. He will get to the bottom of your issue. Good luck.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.