SX21

Topic

Hormones and dopamine for HSDD

pssdperson

I am a 53 year-old woman, new found friend of a wonderful and generous patient who has already been treated for female sexual dysfunction. She encouraged me to seek treatment

I am in a monogamous same sex relationship for 25 years. i have low, non-existent sexual interest, poor lubrication and arousal, difficulty reaching a muted form of orgasm and discomfort during sexual penetration. I have had panic and anxiety issues in the past and was started on antidepressant SSRIs 13 years ago. I am now off the antidepressants but may have PSSD – post SSRI sexual dysfunction. Also all my sexual problems have been worsened by menopause that started last year. Currently, desire has been non-existent. Currently my interest, arousal and orgasm are 0%, 10% and 10% that of previous capabilities, respectively. I also have have sexual discomfort located in the vaginal area for two years, triggered by penetration; and made better by removal.

I underwent testing and was found to have moderate loss of feeling in the vaginal opening area. During physical examination with a vulvoscope, i had mild clitoral atrophy, 40% labial resorption, significant provoked vestibulodynia or vulvar vestibulitis syndrome, mild vaginal atrophy, and abnormal vaginal pH. Hormone testing revealed a dihydrotestosterone and testosteorne in the lowest tertile, a low progesterone, a low estradiol and elevated gonadotropins LH and FSH values consistent with menopause.

Based on my physical findings of mild clitoral atrophy and provoked vestibulodynia and low dihydrotestosterone, I was told I had low testosterone and symptoms consistent with low testosterone. I was told I had the following options for testosterone therapy. This included intramuscular injections weekly into the thigh, daily topical gel and a subcutaneous pellet every 4-6 months. I selected the subcutaneous testosterone pellet and one was inserted without much discomfort.

Based on my physical finding of labial resorption, vaginal atrophy, abnnormal vaginal pH, provoked vestibulodynia, and low estradiol, I was told I had low estradiol and symptoms consistent with low estradiol, I chose to be treated with systemic biologically identical estradiol replacement – Vivelle dot 0.05 mg twice a week.

Based on low progesterone blood tests, i chose progesterone treatment with 2 times per week administration of prometrium (100 mg), a biologically identical progesterone, on Monday and Thursday. Concerning significant signs of labial resorption, i also chose to place local estradiol cream to my labia minora. Concerning mild vaginal atrophy, and abnormal vaginal pH, i chose to consider every other day low dose biologically identical estradiol to the vagina. Concerning low sexual interest and orgasm dysfunction, I now use cabergoline on Monday and Thursday to raise dopamine (a sexual function facilitator).

I am happy to announce that after just THREE weeks of these treatments, I am feeling better and better. My energy has stayed higher and my vaginal tissues feel thicker. When having sex with my partner, I am physiologically responding. I now have faster engorgement of my vaginal tissues including my clitoris. My libido is sputtering and that is an improvement. I still do not respond to visual stimuli. Also I am reaching orgasm somewhat sooner, but it is still muffled at best. I just started the 0.5mg dose of cabergoline last evening, to be taken twice a week, and I have not noticed any disagreeable side effects. One side effect that must be related to the cabergoline though is hypotension. I have been taking Tenormin 50mg daily for years to control my BP. Since starting cabergoline my systolic BP has gone down to 90-100 (usually is 120-140). I cut the dose in half while on 0.25mg cabegoline twice a week; and decided to not take Tenormin at all today-my BP today is normal, my HR is normal. One issue I had last week was that in stressful situations, my HR increased uncomfortably – usually Tenormin suppresses that response.

So that’s my current story. Currently I am taking Vivelle 0.05 twice a week, Estrace topically at nights, Vagifem 10 mcg every other night, Cabergoline 0.5 mg twice a week, Prometrium 100 mg twice a week, Prilosec 20mg daily, Clonazepam 3mg daily, Wellbutrin XL 150mg each morning.

1 Comment

JMiller1974

My spouse has a simular situation as yours, and she recently started to take Prometrium for it. I have not been able to find any other articles about this medication being used to treat HSDD. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to share your experiences over the last year. Were there any negative side effects and how effective has the medicatn been? Thank you!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.