SX21

Topic

Happy on hormones

Happy

I have been in menopause for several years. I have been on HRT for years and thyroid medicine for hypothyroid. I still never felt totally well with depression, anxiety and increasing pain with intercourse and lack of arousal/interest in sex. Orgasms with masturbation were disappearing. I asked my gyno about this and she said I can try testosterone. I said “I don’t want to have more hair or deepen my voice”. She didn’t discuss it further. I called and interviewed the office staff at Dr. Berman’s office, a sexual dysfunction expert that I had seen on TV. The visit would be a few hrs and several hundred dollars. The office was far away so I was not too keen on a visit. I did not make an appt, but they kept calling to get me to book one.

Several months later my problems worsened and my husband started to have problems due to BP medicine. I asked my gyno to do blood work. She told me my levels were off. I asked my gyno if she dealt with sexual dysfunction and she referred me to Dr. Goldstein. I called the office and was told that I could have a 10 minute free phone conversation with Dr. G. During the conversation, we discussed my lab results, my problems and my husband’s problems (My husband’s doctor told him he could not use testosterone because his PSA levels were above normal). He ordered more blood work (different tests than what the gyno ordered), he referred me to his site for more patient education, and he told me about some of the possible treatments that will make a difference in my life. He reviewed my husband’s case/lab results and ordered more blood work for him. He said that both of us could be seen by him and his professional staff. Each person would be seen for 3 hours on the first visit and some insurances pay for this. The visit would include seeing Dr. G for physical exam and consult and Dr. H, the sex therapist. They encourage the spouse to come to the entire visit even if the spouse is not having any physical problems. We decided to just have me be the patient initially to keep things simple, and my husband attended the whole visit.

We saw Dr. G. and was quite impressed with his thorough, comprehensive assessment and plan for me, but very overwhelmed. Make sure you take notes! It is alot to absorb! We were there for more than 3 hours.

During the exam my husband and I were able to watch thru a video all of my areas that caused problems. Dr. G took pictures for comparisons during later visits. His staff were amazing and answered my several calls the next day to fill in the gaps of information that I missed the day prior from Dr. G. Our session with Dr. H, the sex therapist was quite helpful and very professional and comfortable. She gave us some homework. We eventually received a copy of Dr. G’s visit notes and they were very detailed and comprehensive.

Dr. G. changed my HRT that the gyno had prescribed and added 2 other hormones. I was so confused but found it very helpful to review everything with Shalaine at the office. In addition, I had to label each hormone for dosage and frequency since several were not used every day. I started to feel better after a few days.

I have had a few follow-ups with both Dr. G and Dr. H. Dr. G changed my HRT each visit after reviewing my new blood work. My body was feeling much better and the pain was gone. I was able to have orgasms again and more intense with only masturbation. I have gotten out of my depression and I remain calm all the time. In addition, some of my chronic musculoskeletal problems have disappeared since starting testosterone. I did however have some inconsistent changes in my thyroid and I have had to change my dose several times. Dr. G does manage thryoid meds, but I have been continuing with my Endo that i have seen for many years.

My husband and I decided to continue with therapy with our own local psychotherapist, since a large part of our problems with intercourse are as a result of communication problems, now that my body was better.

My husband did not yet become a patient of Dr. G’s, because we were focusing on my problems first and because his internist advised him that his PSA did not allow him to try testosterone. Recently my husband has gone off the BP meds and his PSA is slowly lowering. We will have him see Dr. G when his PSA is stable.

Initially I was quite scared regarding taking so many hormones because of the results of the Women’s Initiative study. My gyno and Dr. G reassured me that my dosage was safe. They both told me that I did not need to increase my frequency of annual mamogram or pap smear test.

All of the professional and office staff are passionate about their work and about helping me and my husband have a wonderful, fulfilling sex life and to help me feel more healthy and happy. They (including Dr. G.) are all so accessible through the phone and email.

It has been since November 2011, when I first visited Dr. G. Our life is so much better, and Dr. G says that I still have some low levels on my blood work that need to be reassessed. I am sooo looking forward to even more improvement! My husband and I continue with our therapy and we are coming along well in improving our communication skills.

0 Comments

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.