SX21

Topic

Getting to the bottom of this

Birdlady

This is my first time posting as I’ve just begun the journey to rid myself of symptoms of PGAD, and I will post at regular intervals about my progress.

I started experiencing this about 13 years ago after removal of my second ovary. Of course, at the time, I had no idea what it was and it was more of an annoyance than actually interfering with my life. I mentioned it to 3 different OB/GYN’s over the years, and they either had never heard of it, or one doctor had another patient complain of the same thing, but she had no idea what it was. The symptoms continued to become more severe and over the last couple of years were so bad that I didn’t know how I would go on living if I didn’t get some help. I tried acupuncture, with no relief. Then, hypnotherapy, also with no results. The hypnotherapist put me in touch with a urologist she thought could help. I went to see him and he put me on some kind of anti-anxiety medication which did nothing. But, he told me about a colleague of his, Dr. Irwin Goldstein, at the San Diego Sexual Medicine Institute. I read about him and his work and, after so many years, allowed myself to feel a degree of optimism. I made an appointment and had all the blood work done prior to the visit. My husband and I flew to San Diego and were welcomed and made to feel so comfortable by everyone there. Dr. Goldstein spent a lot of time with us patiently explaining everything about PGAD with the help of pictures and charts. It turns out my hormone levels were completely out of balance, so the first step in this process is to restore them to as normal as possible. Dr. G inserted a testosterone pellet in the muscle of my butt which will release the hormone over a period of time. I also got an estrogen cream to apply topically as well as an estrogen gel to bring that level up. I’m taking a progesterone pill twice a week and DHEA vaginal suppositories. I have to get more blood work done in 3 months to see what the hormone levels are. At that point, I guess we’ll go to step 2. It’s been a month so far, and although I haven’t noted any change, I’m remaining confident that it’s just a matter of time, and if I see this process through, there will be a big improvement in my life and in my relationship with my husband.

0 Comments

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.