SX21

Topic

Any idea in my head could easily be converted to action

Nothingtoit

Chapter 1

May 1992 The Problem Saint Louis

Prostate Cancer – Prostatectomy. Goals: wake up, cancer free, potent, continent. Make sure you have some guidance concerning incontinency and or feminine pads – It was very very uncomfortable to shop for pads the first time. Talking to a clerk in the store about my needs was terrible. Three months in full diapers was surprisingly easy. Modern diapers are terrific. Four months later I was cancer free and could control my bladder.

Now, to work on potency. Tried vacuum pump and rubber bands. Not pleasant.

Tried injections easy to inject – but results were unpredictable. Once to the emergency room to undo the painful turgidity after 4 hours Injections were easier than you can imagine. Maybe the technology of the drugs has improved now.

Suzanne and I went to a sexual function class with twelve couples led by a famous sex therapist for 8 weeks. Great course but did not lead to any erections.

Chapter 2

May 1997 Saint Louis The Initial Implant

Dr. M a former resident of Dr G’s

The first inflation and intercourse was certainly a new experience. I felt like I had a strange implement. It wasn’t part of me. By the third time it was me. Just felt normal – it was me. It took a few seconds to inflate. From the outset Suzanne thought that every sexual activity was just the same as it had been in 1992. Both Suzanne and I observed that the sensitivity was the same as it has been. Thereafter each experience was easy and just as successful as it had been prior to my prostatectomy. The little noise the pump makes is kind of a squeak. It put us in the mood.

Chapter 2a

June 1997 Six years of Joy

Nothing to it. Always ready. Any idea in my head could easily be converted to action.

Chapter 3

May 2003 Boston University Medical Center

Dr.M had moved to New York So I went to his Professor, Dr. G. in Boston.

The device malfunctioned at the pump tubing level. Pump Replacement – easier and quicker than the first installation surgery.

Chapter 3a

Nothing to it again. Always ready again. Any idea in my head could easily be converted to action again.

Chapter 4

December 2010 Alvarado Hospital, San Diego Total replacement. Treated like the Shah of Iran. From December of 1979 until June 1980 The Shah spent a great deal of time in New York Hospital under extremely attentive care. Money was no object. November 2010 my implant malfunctioned again. I located Dr. G in San Diego at San Diego Sexual Medicine at Alvarado Hospital. A call to his office quickly had Dr. G himself talking to me – like we lived in the same city – a miracle in this technological age. At age 75, I was treated like a King. From the first telephone call, I felt remembered, hopeful, welcome, and privileged. He assured me that he could take care of my problem even though I lived in Chicago. By month’s end my internist and cardiologist had performed the necessary pre-surgery tests and assured Dr. G and me that I was cleared for surgery. My Internist was very confident that I would tolerate the anesthesia. Dr. G, Melissa (office manager),and I developed a detailed daily schedule that included 1 week of twice daily washing with a special soap called Hibiclens and three days of antibiotics just prior to surgery. I had a drug-eluting stent placed in my coronary artery in November 2009. My cardiologist had prescribed Plavix and low dose aspirin. For the Surgery I was to replace the regimen with regular aspirin for seven days pre-op. Post-op I would resume the Plavix and low-dose aspirin. Dr. G. said that would be OK because of a special compressive dressing that he would apply. The nurses in the hospital were excellent.

The day after discharge from the hospital my instructions were to walk 30 minutes and rest 90 minutes. It was tedious yet worthwhile. I was also told to keep in touch with Dr. G by telephone. He said we would talk at least three times my first day out. At the end of my second call Dr. G asked me to call before I turned in for the night. He also said I was to be in contact twice the next day. His cell phone number was a great life preserver ready to support me at any time.

The next day we took a two hour drive to La Costa and La Jolla. That evening we went to a great restaurant for a lengthy relaxing meal. I felt like I was fine. I am grateful for Suzanne’s patient support all week.

The following day Dr. G examined me and released me to fly home.

Chapter 5

Recovery from explant/implant surgery

Three weeks – it has been slow, up and down. The surgery is fine. The bruises and pain are diminishing every day. The after effects of the anesthesia seem to be the problem. For the first two weeks post-op I was struggling to get my digestive system normal. It was stop and go. Exercise, Mindfulness and mild Yoga helped. The basic Jon Kabat- Zinn CD’s were a godsend. I found a thirty minute walk on the treadmill at 6% incline and 2.7 mph was very helpful. Driving, shopping, visiting clients, and seeing relatives were getting back to normal. My energy level for an all day outing was getting back to normal. I began to feel like I could try some sexual activity. Yea team!

1 Comment

AmercianIdle

I’d like to hear how you’re doing now one year post surgery.

ingramadam12

(Awaiting moderation)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.